I was nominated a month ago for the Liebster award, which promotes small blogs of less than 200 followers who the nominator feels deserve appreciation. I give a huge shout out and thank you to Valourborn for the nomination, and I encourage you to check out his posts. They’re always a pleasure to read and ponder over.
There are a number of rules regarding how the Liebster award works:
First, Thank the Liebster Blog presenter who nominated you and link back to their blog. (Which I just did above)
Second, Post 11 facts about yourself, answer the 11 questions you were asked, and create 11 questions for your nominees.
Third, Nominate 11 blogs whom you feel deserve to be noticed, and leave a comment on their blog to let them know about the nomination.
Display the Liebster award logo
And finally, you can’t nominate a blog that’s already been nominated before.
I’ll start by answering the 11 questions asked of me:
- A word that makes you laugh: Pudding (skip to 7:50. That scene from Fairly OddParents just jumped out at me when I read the question)
- Your favorite color, and your favorite object of that color: Blue, and the pool of a waterfall. When I visited the Canadian Rockies last winter, I saw a frozen waterfall, and the image has stuck with me ever since:
- Have any pets? No. I always wanted a Dog/Chocobo/Moogle, though.
- If you could be a bird of any kind, what would it be? An Eagle, a Penguin, or a Starling. Don’t ask why. I’m not too sure myself. Just not a Chocobo. Even a gold one.
- Do you collect anything? I collect quotes. If I shared them more often, my friends and teachers would probably have many more scandals.
- Have a catchphrase? I tend to say “if you say so” a lot, when I’m in an argument with someone stubborn and I don’t feel like continuing. It’s not really a catchphrase, though.
- Favorite type of hat? A fedora. It was the de facto hat of my Model UN club. I’m not sure how that originated.
- If you could learn another language overnight, what would it be? Japanese, hands-down.
- Ever had a pen pal? My 2nd grade teacher tried to set everyone up with one, but it fizzled pretty quickly.
- An instrument that can/would want to play? I can sorta play the piano, but not well.
- Where’s the tallest place you’ve ever been? The Canadian Rockies.
Frozen Waterfall from my visit to the Canadian Rockies.
Now, I’ll give 11 facts about myself:
- I’m left-handed when I write and play tennis, but I’m right-footed in soccer.
- I’m going to my first anime convention this weekend.
- My favorite tree is the cherry blossom. They were just going into full bloom on campus when the semester ended.
- Whenever I choose a character class in an RPG, I go for the magician. Always.
- The first game I ever played was Diddy Kong Racing. Or Super Mario Land. I’m not quite sure which.
- My eyebrows move of their own accord sometimes. Asynchronously.
- Currently, my favorite book is Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe.
- I obsess over the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, and I’m looking forward to seeing how Sanditon unfolds.
- I enjoy cooking, but I don’t get to do it often.
- In freshman year of high school, I joined the Academic Decathlon team solely because one of the subjects was Economics, and I wasn’t allowed to take Econ in school until 11th grade. And now I’m an economics major. Who would’ve guessed?
- I have near encyclopedic knowledge of the Harry Potter series and the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, and it always annoys me when I make a reference that nobody catches.
Before I talk about the 11 blogs I’ve nominated, here are the questions I ask my nominees:
- One common food that you can’t stand?
- Least favorite book you’ve ever read? Why didn’t you like it?
- Why’d you decide to start blogging? What motivates you to continue blogging?
- What’s one hobby that you used to do, but don’t do anymore?
- Favorite cooking disaster story? (Doesn’t have to yours, just the best one you know of)
- If you could choose to read/write fluently in a foreign language of your choice, or you could speak fluently in it, but not both, which would you choose? And which language?
- Favorite fictional character?
- A song that you’re embarassed of when others catch you listening to it?
- One place you want to go in the next 5 years?
- One thing you love that a lot of people hate? (Or vice-versa?)
- Have a unique mannerism?
Disclaimer: I had 11 blogs to nominate, but one of them was nominated before I put this post up, so I only actually have 10. Sorry.
Finally, here are the 11 blogs I nominate, and a bit about each of them:
- Lost to the Aether – a fun blog about video games, writing, and miscellaneous, whose commentary is always insightful and a pleasure to read.
- Pixel Bubble – A fun blog that also examines different aspects of videogame news, culture, and industry
- FFIX Blog – as one can guess from the title, it’s about all things related to Final Fantasy IX, and generally about other things that interest the blogger. He’s planning on doing a Let’s Play, and I can’t wait for it to start.
- The Game is Dead – Another videogame blog that explores the success (or lack thereof) of employing different mechanics in games. Topics have ranged from narrative dissonance to commentary on a change in voice-actors.
- The Books of Jobe – A chronicle of a man trying to make his way into the literary world. It’s a hidden gem that I discovered by chance, and I’m glad I did. (Note: Has apparently already been nominated in the past, but since I had no knowledge of this, I’m keeping this nomination up. Kudos to Jobe for getting nominated twice.)
- Jehne – A blog by an intern working at the Czech Republic’s permanent mission at the UN. Topics include human rights, international affairs, life experiences, and more.
- The Armchair Realist – a blog about his opinions on International Relations. The blog just started, but I have high hopes.
- Latent Convictions – A blog that centers about political thought, economics, etc. Posts are always worth reading.
- Life After Anorexia, Bullying, and Suicide Attempts – a personal blog about a woman who went through a lot, but emerged with a strong determination to help others.
- Get Set Rawrr – A cute blog by a woman with blogging ambitions. Posts are generally about different facets of life, and she’s currently in the midst of a 30-day snap challenge. Not quite Aeris-level, but photos of beautiful flowers are nice.
These 11 blogs have different topics and styles, but I hope that at least one of them appeals to each person who reads Mental Gaming. I encourage you to check them out.
Ever since I learned about the Liebster award (i.e., was nominated), I’ve come to think highly of it. It’s a nice way to recognize newcomers’ efforts, and it has the latent function of creating bonds between bloggers.
So, my nominees: I hope you accept your award.